Re: rs6000 / ppc backend in gdb

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 09:32:59PM +0100, Stefan Burström wrote:
> Well, the problem is not when debug info is available. The problem is if the
> stack chain goes through the OS where no debug info at all is available.
>
> I suppose I am pretty much on my own if I want to get this functionality
> into GDB?

Why can't you use the prologue analyzer in this case?  You don't have
symbols at the start of functions?  Well, in that case, there's not
much to be done - what will happen is GDB will find the nearest
plausible symbol, decide that's the start of the function, and prologue
analyze from there.  If that is a frameless function, and the function
you're really in isn't frameless, you'll lose.

If you have any bright ideas for handling this without breaking the
common case, please do share.

> One interesting thing about all this is that even if the PPC backend tries
> to be really nice and look at the prologue to determine various aspects of
> the frame, it still assumes that the previous sp is saved where the current
> sp points.

Yes, I think that's fairly lame, but I'm not familiar with the PPC
backend at all.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC