Re: gdb runs multi-threaded with non-threaded app and gets SEGV

--- Ramana Radhakrishnan
<ramana.radhakrishnan@codito.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 11:25 -0700, Larry Martell
> wrote:
> > I have a program that has 1 line of code - a call
> > a third party libary function:
> >
> > #include "ni488.h"
> >
> > int main() {
> >         int handle = ibdev(0, 7, 0, 10, 1, 0);
> > }
>

> That is not enough info for us to help you with .
> Try CVS head or a more
> recent version of gdb and see if that works.

OK, I've upgraded to gdb 6.3

> Whats the version of libc ,

2.3.3

> gcc

3.4.1

> Also maybe your 3rd party
> library might be multithreaded for all we know. Do a
> ldd on the library if its a .so and check .

OK, an ldd showed:

libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0
(0x40278000)

So apparently the 3rd party lib is multithreaded.

So that answers 1 question. But the more important one
is why I get the SEGV in gdb, but not when I run the
program without gdb?

Here's the deal - I am developing an app (that is
not getting a SEGV) and I wanted to debug it. When
I ran the app in gdb it got the SEGV on my call to
ibdev. Thinking I probably had a memory corruption
somewhere in my application I ran valgrind on it.
It said the 3rd party lib was attempting to jump
to address 0. Still thinking it was my issue, I
created the single line test program (shown at the
top of this message). And that's where I am now - I
need gdb to get past this call so I can debug my
actaul app.

Thanks!
-larry