Re: How GDB handle this case while program works well in GDB but crash in mormal mode

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 10:56:43PM +0800, Renzhong Xiao wrote:
> Hi,
>     I have some trouble in using GDB 6.3.50_2004-12-28-cvs in Cygwin
> to debug the mencoder (which is a program in MPlayer).When I run
> mencoder in normal mode,it will pop up an error message saying
> mencoder.exe has error and will be closed. But I run mencoder in
> gdb,it works well.
>     I don't know how to find this bug in GDB,Does GDB has the some
> feature to handle this case?
>
>     Any information will be very appreciate!

I'm not an expert but there are probably many issues that could make this
appear. For instance, if timing is important, your program might run a
little slower in GDB than normally. If this is the case, things could
potentially run different in your program. Also, if there are memory
runtime error's in MPlayer, your program could act different when run in
different environments.

I would suggest using valgrind in Linux on MPlayer to see if there are
any memory runtime errors.

Bob Rossi