printing "variable-sized" registers

Hello,
I'm working on a gdb port, and have problems with printing certain registers
of my target. The problem is that those registers are vector buffers that
can hold from 0 to 32 values at any given moment. I would like the 'info
registers' command to print exactly the number of values that are present
in a buffer. That is, on one invocation I might get 4 values printed, and
on another 15, depending on the current processor state.

However, I don't see an easy way to do this. The
'default_print_registers_info' function uses 'val_print' to print the
value, and 'val_print' uses register type (struct type*), which has a fixed
size. Anything I can do? Or I should just write arch-specific
'print_registers_info' function?

Thanks in advance,
Volodya