how to display memory block with hex and ascii

I want to display a block of memory and see the hex and chars next to
each other

x/100xb addr displays the hex (although a little spread out) but not the
ascii interpretation of printables
x/100xc displays decimal and the ascii plus octal escape for non
printables, it is hard to read since the alignment gets lost

I would like an output that looks like this

addr xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx ..my  data
addr xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx ...2 .34.
etc

this seems like such a common thing to want but I can find out how to do
it
(at the moment I do 'dump memory file range' then open the file in a hex
editor)