how to check the symbols inside binaries

Sorry send this email again. There are more info about my question.

1) My linux is RedHat Enterprise 3, kernel version is "Linux xaqjibinh40 2.4.21-4.EL #1 Fri Oct 3 18:13:58 EDT 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux".

2) gdb is 6.3

3) This "gui_main.c not found" error is from DDD, not gdb. But I still need to know how to find the library that a symbol belonging to.

Thanks.

Hi,
I am debugging a program, the source files scatter around many different places. When I start gdb and load the executable, I am prompted "<path1>/gui_main.c:there is no such file or directory". The "path1" is not right, there is no such directory at all.

My question is how come gdb tries to load gui_main.c from path1? What is the logic under the hood?

The problem is even worse, gui_main.c is not my file, it must be from one of libraries I link with. But I have no idea where it is.

I run ldd against the program and I see a lot of shared libraries, so my question is how I can know which library is this "gui_main" from? Or maybe it is in the executable itself? How can I know that?

Thanks.