Re: Unfinished projects

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:55:11AM -0700, Stan Shebs wrote:

Andrew's sudden departure from GDB maintenance seems to left a
large number of projects in mid-process; as I'm picking through
the latest sources trying to figure out how to merge with Apple's
bits, it's very confusing as to how the new way is supposed to
work when it's not documented anywhere and there's maybe only
one example of a configuration using it.

So my question is - what should we do about all these? Are
some of these intrinsically impossible to complete without
the right collection of hardware? If so, then maybe we need
to get tougher about dropping support for some targets, or
else abandon the projected change. I'd like to work on updating
the GDB internals manual too, for my own understanding if
nothing else; should I describe old ways, new ways, or both?

Could you give some specific examples that you're looking at? I've got no way to answer your questions without more details. For each one, there's probably someone on the list who knows how it's supposed to work.

I was being purposefully vague because I wanted to think about
general strategy, and because I don't even know how many there
are. Specific things I've noticed include async for native, the
infptrace vs inf-ptrace situation, and then there's everything
with "deprecated" somewhere in the name.

So that would be a start - what are all the main incomplete
transitions in the code right now?

Stan