Re: gdb 5.3nb1 crashing when accessing elements in static libs

> > I am experiencing problems when interrogating a core file - as soon
as I
> > try to access a global variable in a statically linked library or
view
> > the internals of a class/struct declared in a static lib gdb either
says
> > <unknown type>, gives garbage or segmentation faults. Details of my
> > system are:
> >
> > OS: Netbsd 2.0
> > gdb: 5.3nb1
> > compiler: g++ 3.3
>
> I'm assuming this is i386? You're going to be in some pain with C++ on
> this combination; netbsd/i386 2.0 sets gcc to use the stabs debugging
> format by default instead of dwarf-2, because of a bug in 3.3's dwarf
> generation (netbsd PR #25094; equivalent to GCC bug #16788) [I'm not
> at all sure that this is the right tradeoff for that bug].

Yes, this is i386 :( What would you recommend I do? I suppose I could
install a later version of gcc (seems 3.4.0 has this fixed) but I would
imagine that that will need a full system rebuild depending on the
compatibility between 3.3.3 and 3.4.0. Or is there some easier solution,
maybe setting g++ to use dwarf-2 and accepting that the offset for long
long structs will be incorrect (is this a train smash?)?