protocol question

Hello everyone!

I apologize if this is the wrong news group for this question, if so;
just point me to the correct one.

I'm developing a target stub for a custom processor which will then be
able to connect with GDB.  From what I understand, the stub can send
unsolicited messages to GDB, for example, if the stub encounters an
error of some sort, or wants to send other information to be displayed
in the GDB console.  It seems this is done with the 'O' command being
sent by the stub, without the stub checking for an ack.

Is there anything in GDB that needs to be 'turned on' to enable this
functionality, or do I have a conceptual problem and this is not how it
is designed to work?   I've tried to send a test command of:

// output of send text function
$O0a54686973206973206120746573740a#32

Just for testing, I'm doing this in the main processing loop

//process gdb proxy commands
while( pSocketObject->Getpkt(m_Threadbuff) > 0 )
{
	nStatus = pSocketObject->ProcessCommand(m_Threadbuff);
	if(nStatus > 0)
	{
		pSocketObject->Putpkt(m_Threadbuff);
	}

	pSocketObject->SendText("\nThis is a test\n");

	//test for kill command
	if(nStatus == -1)
	{
		break;
	}
}

However, I don't get anything being printed in the gdb console.  Any
ideas?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Paul.