Re: Linux Realtime Scheduling Option

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 10:29:32AM -0600, David Steven Trollope wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm working on a project that uses Linux 2.4 on a PowerPC processor with
> real time scheduling.
>
> One of the issues we've encountered is that when the application being
> debugged is running real time and gdb/gdbserver is not, scheduling
> problems occur.
>
> I'm wondering if its possible to have an option added to gdb and the
> .gdbinit file which specifies the realtime priority which gdb/gdbserver
> should run at.
>
> I searched the mailing list and do not find anything related to this in
> the past.
>
> Has anyone got experience in this area? Do patches already exist?

This is not a good idea.  There are existing Linux tools to change the
realtime priority of a process; why can't you use them to change the
priority of the debugger?  You can even do this after starting the
inferior process if it isn't smart enough to reset its own priority.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC