Re: patch review time

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 09:32:40AM +1300, Nick Roberts wrote:

> > BTW, 2 of the MI MAINTAINERS completely do *nothing*. They don't respond
> > to Emails, they don't review patches, and as far as I can tell, do
> > nothing behind the scene.
>
> > Shouldn't they be removed from this position, since, IMO, they are *not*
> > maintaining the code. I think having 3 maintainers under the section
>
> >   mi (gdb/mi)             Andrew Cagney     cagney@redhat.com
> >                           Elena Zannoni     ezannoni@redhat.com
> >                           Fernando Nasser   fnasser@redhat.com
>
> > is misleading. Since Andrew is the *only* one I can tell is maintaining
> > code for MI, even if it's not at the speed that I desire.
>
> Hang on. Let's be pragmatic. How will things get *better* if they are removed.
> They are the original authors and know the code better than the rest of us.
> We don't know what their committments/current interests are. At the moment,
> they might contribute at some time in the future. If they are removed then
> presumably they won't.

Nothing is stopping them from contributing now or in the future. As far as I
can tell, things will not get better with them in or not in the MAINTAINERS
file. I don't even get responses from them when I send Emails.

I guess I don't really care if they are noted as MAINTAINERS even if
they don't maintain the code. I just want to make it clear that there is
1 active maintainer, not 3.

> Bob, you're not the only one whose e-mails go ignored. Answering questions,
> reviewing patches takes up time. Unpaid time. If my e-mail is unanswered, it
> tells me something: either people aren't interested or they are too busy.
> Sometimes I let it go, sometimes I realise it was a stupid question, and
> sometimes I send another e-mail and try to add something to get a reply.

I don't really care about the "unpaid" time business. My time goes
unpaid as well, so I see it as a clean slate, we're all even here.

Answering Emails and reviewing patches are some of the job's of a maintainer.
My Emails and patches are ignored often, this tells me that there is no
MAINTAINER that has time/interested in having another contributer improve
upon the MI code base. This tells me that there is a lack of active maintainers
in the area.

I'm going to contribute a large amount to GDB/MI and get it done within a
reasonable amount of time, or I'm not going to be able to. The point of
this Email thread is to bring up the fact that I simply can not wait
months and months to get what I need to get done, done.

Bob Rossi