Macraigor Raven JTAG hardware

The Macraigor Raven is a JTAG debugging device that I'd like to use to
debug an ARM7 target. It requires a small proprietary program,
OCDRemote, that translates GDB-speak to some parallel port witchery.
Is there an open-source replacement for this program available
anywhere? It seems it shouldn't be terribly difficult to reverse
engineer [1] their parallel port protocol by spewing some debug output
from the Linux parallel port driver. Any chance GDB could some day use
the Raven natively?

Alternatively, who can recommend a cost effective way to debug the
ARM7 using Linux, GDB, and JTAG? I have up to about a thousand bucks
to spend on this project, but many JTAG devices cost a heck of a lot
more than that.

Cheers,
Shaun

[1] see DMCA what-nottery about reverse engineering for interoperability