Re: howto build gdb / gdbserver for x86 host with arm-linux target?

--- Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 09:29:41PM -0800, Tim Harvey wrote:
> > $ cd gdb-6.3
> > $ ./configure --target=arm-linux
> > $ make
> > $ file gdb/gdb
> > gdb/gdb: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for
> > GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
> > $ cd gdb/gdbserver
> > $ export CC=/usr/local/bin/arm-linux-gcc
> > $ ./configure --host=arm-linux
> > $ make
> > $ file gdbserver
> > gdbserver: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, ARM, version 1 (ARM), for GNU/Linux
> > 2.4.3, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped
> >
> > When trying to execute my app on the target with this gdbserver I get:
> >
> > # gdbserver foo:1234 myApp
> > gdbserver: error while loading shared libraries: libthread_db.so.1: cannot
> open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > My target's glibc doesn't have a libthread_db and I'm not really sure what
> this
> > even is vs libthread.
>
> There's one in your cross development environment or gdbserver wouldn't
> have even built.
>
> You have to use the same libraries in your cross environment and on
> your target if you want things to work...

Ok, I see the light.  I put libthread_db on my target and now my new gdbserver
runs and I 'can' remote debug with my resulting new arm-linux-gdb and
arm-linux-gdbserver.

> > I don't know if the gdbserver that the snapgear-3.1.1 distro is building is
> > correct or not.  When I use it I get the 'Reply contains invalid hex digit
> 59'
> > error and I'm still not understanding if this is pointing to a problem with
> > gdbserver or the gdb host.
>
> Are you using it with the arm-linux-gdb you built above?  In your first
> message you were using your host GDB.

The way I understand it is that I have to use my arm-linux-gdb as my host gdb
has stubs for the host architecture not the target (right?)

I think I understand this now.  Obviously something was/is wrong with the
gdbserver being built from my snapgear distro as the one I build from gdb6.3
works.

Thanks for your help!

Tim