No symbol "var" in current context

I understand that there is no symbol "var" in current context. However:
is there a way to ask gdb "well, which symbols are in current context, then?"

Background - I'm using gdb with various Fortran compilers which have
useless debuggers (in this case, NAG, whose own debugger won't even read corefiles) and these compilers use weird and wonderful name-mangling systems. I suspect in several cases I'm getting the above error messages not because the variable has been optimized away, but just because I'm
not clever enough to work out exactly how it's been name-mangled.

Toby

--
Dr. Toby White
Dept. of Earth Sciences, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EQ. UK