Re: serial port conflicts

Hi,

I have implemented a gdb stub for a SH2 target based on "sh-stub.c" from GDB-v3.6 source. Now some basic features like step, break, cont, memory read/write, etc. are tested successfully.

The gdb stub and gdb on host communicate via remote serial protocol. However I have a problem to debug an application program, which accesses the same serial port used by gdb, e.g. I/O functions like "putstring()", "getchar()", etc. In my case, "putstring()" cannot display any message in gdb console, and "getchar()" cannot receive any input.

1. The IO activities would finally map down into a call to write / read / open etc. . Modify the write / read / open in your library to take care of the File IO extensions in the serial protocol if used with the GDB remote protocol.

2. Use 2 different serial ports (if you have them) . One for the console output and the other for the remote debugging. This might be simpler ;-)

HTH cheers Ramana

--
Ramana Radhakrishnan
GNU Tools