Re: Bring back the intl subdirectory please

> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:13:17 +0100 (CET)
> From: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@gnu.org>
> CC: eliz@gnu.org, gdb@sources.redhat.com, binutils@sources.redhat.com
>
> 1. Drop intl/ and only enable NLS if an external libintl is available
>    (which on GNU/Linux systems is available as part of glibc).  We'll
>    need to upgrade the configuration magic in bfd/, opcodes/, gdb/,
>    binutila/, gas/ and ld/.  I've tried this for bfd/, opcode/ and
>    gdb/ which seems to work reasonably well.
>
> 2. Update intl/.  We can either upgrade to the gettext used by GCC or
>    a more recent version.  The GCC version is probably easier since it
>    already has the modifications needed for the layout of our source
>    tree.
>
> There is of course the third option:
>
> 3. We give shit about anything that's not GNU.  GNU/Linux is now so
>    dominant that we don't care about other systems.  Users of non-free
>    software deserve what they get and should not complain.
>
> I hope that option doesn't have any backers.

Me too.

> Anyway, the argument for option #1 is that intl/ might not build
> properly on some (presumably) non-GNU systems.

Even if that is true, it couldn't do any more harm than now, since
i18n in GDB is currently broken on _all_ non-GNU systems.

> Personaly I don't really care about internationalization, so I'd vote
> for #1.

Even if we don't care about i18n, it wouldn't be nice to go for #1
because of the i18n-related work already invested in GDB (by Baurjan
and others).