RE: Promblem compiling GDB 6.3 on solaris 2.6--don't know how to make target doc/observer.texi

I got the sources from the released 6.3 tarball. When I look in the <sourcedir>/gdb/doc, observer.texi is there, with permission 644.
Then I changed the permission to 777, but the problem still exists.
Another symptom I have just noted is that in <builddir>/gdb/config.log, there are many errors reported, when checking for argz.h, setenv, stpcpy...etc.
In the config.log under <builddir>, everything is ok. the <builddir>/gdb/config.log is generated after make in invoked.
Do you know what is wrong?