Re: RFC remove cache thrashing

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 04:39:44PM -0700, David Anderson wrote:
> gdb has N-squared behavior on getting registers when nptl
> threads on Linux are in use.  gdb thrashes the register-cache.

I hadn't replied to your past posts because I didn't have time to
reproduce the problem; last time I checked, it wasn't quadratic.  I
don't know what about your setup made the difference, or maybe my
measurements are just out of date.

Fixing this is very easy.  I plan to remove the entire mess of affected
code, once I finish renaming thread-db.c, which will hopefully be this
week.  We don't need to use thread-db for registers at all.

> Has this multiple-register-cache idea been considered seriously before?
> Is there any proposed outline-of-change?

We need to get rid of all the remaining references to the "current"
registers first.  I don't think we're quite there yet.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz