Re: core file not loaded

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:16:08PM +0200, Fabian Cenedese wrote:

> >> gdb-6.1.1 on cygwin, target=PPC
> >
> >More specific - what target triplet?
>
> Sorry, --host=i686-pc-cygwin --target=powerpc-eabi
>
> >> I tried to read a core dump file of our embedded target, but gdb gives
> >> me an error:
> >>
> >> (gdb) core N:/Temp/SAMCLASS/MemDmp00.bin
> >> GDB can't read core files on this machine.
> >> (gdb) core
> >> GDB can't read core files on this machine.
> >>
> >> I looked for the error message in the sources and found this:
> >>
> >> /* Find a single core_stratum target in the list of targets and return it.
> >>    If for some reason there is more than one, return NULL.  */
> >>
> >> But I couldn't see what's wrong. What is needed to work with a core file?
> >
> >The target needs to tell GDB how to load core files.  This is a highly
> >OS-specific operation.
>
> My understanding was, that I could take a memory snapshot of the
> target (in this case about 4MB) and feed this to gdb so gdb will use
> this file for read accesses instead of reading a physical target (in
> addition to the symbolfile). Is this wrong? Or is this not a core file?

That's not a core file.  You can probably convert it to a core file,
but you'd also have to teach the BFD and GDB powerpc-eabi support to
recognize it as a powerpc-eabi core file.

A core file is one of several "standard" formats, generated by various
operating systems - lately, a particular kind of ELF object.  Easiest
might be to convert your binary dump to an ELF core file and copy
support from powerpc-linux.

Note that a memory dump isn't enough; for instance, you've lost all
register values.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz