Re: GDB/MI snapshots between major release's

> Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 08:59:32 +0200
> From: Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese@indel.ch>
>
> One thing that could be added is that -i mi doesn't mean the last
> one (like mi2 now) but the last official one. So if there will be a
> mi3 in progress mi will still select mi2.  Like that you will always
> be using the last stable protocol. And others can work with the
> development version by calling -i mi3. But that won't solve your
> problem of knowing what mi version the last stable really is.

Knowing which MI version is the last stable one is important, but it's
a separate issue.  Do we all agree that for official GDB releases the
problem of MI versions is solved by the features that we already have,
or do someone think that a feature that reports supported MI versions
is still needed even for the official releases?  Let's solve the
situation with official releases first, and get to the development
versions later.

As for the problem with development versions, I think it's part of a
larger problem: how can one know that a certain snapshot is stable
enough to make it available to users?  The stability of MI is a
relatively small aspect of this larger problem, and there's always the
solution suggested by Jason (I think): use the latest stable version
of MI, the one released with the last official GDB version.