Re: Release symbol file

Fabian Cenedese <Cenedese@indel.ch> wrote:
> Thanks, but what about the MI? I can't give switches to e.g
> -file-exec-and-symbol, can I? I mean, once gdb is started. Or
> do I have to stop and restart gdb every time?

--readnow is a global flag.  It turns on the "read now" behavior
on all future calls to symbol_file_add_with_addrs_or_offsets.

  [mec.gnu@berman gdb]$ gdb-621 --readnow
  GNU gdb 6.2.1
  This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
  (gdb) file /berman/migchain/install/target/native/gdb-6.2.1/bin/gdb
  Reading symbols from /berman/migchain/install/target/native/gdb-6.2.1/bin/gdb...expanding to full symbols...
  Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
  (gdb)

gdb does keep file descriptors open for the target program,
but it ought to have all the symbols in memory after
"expanding to full symbols".

Try it.

Michael