Re: Problem building GDB on Power64

On Thursday 02 September 2004 10:21, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:20:53AM -0700, Paul Gilliam wrote:
> > On a ppc64 system, GDB builds as a 32-bit application.  This is OK if the
> > 64-bit dev. env. is not available.  But if it is, this is wrong: GDB
> > should build as a 64-bit application so that both 64 and 32 bit apps can
> > be debugged.
> >
> > If I understood the configure process, I would have tried submitting a
> > patch. It should be easy: just include -m64 in the CFLAGS.  And make sure
> > to link with the 64-bit libraries (which had better be there).
>
> IMO, if your 64-bit environment defaults to building 32-bit code, it's
> your responsibility to set -m64 yourself.

Normally I would agree with you, but this is kind of a special case.

The reason the 64-bit environment defaults to building 32-bit code is that it
was felt that most applications running on a 64-bit processor will be 32-bit
applications. (at least that's what the gcc person in the next cube explained
to me).

But, if possible, the debugger should handle either.  In fact, the gdb
installed with the 64-bit dev. system is a 64-bit app. and can debug both 64
and 32 bit apps.

In this case, then, I think it makes more sense for gdb to build atomaticly as
a 64-bit app, if it can be.

-=# Paul #=-

PS:  I'm not asking for someone to post patches to configure.in or what ever,
(hinting maybe), but I am asking for some pointers on where to look.