Re: How does GDB/MI give the current frame

 > >  > > -> -interpreter cli "up"
 > >  > > <- ~"info on new frame..."
 > >  > > <- *select-frame,<frame-info>...
 > >  > > <- done
 >
 > Note that the interpreter case is key, it lets the GUI respond to
 > operations on the command line.

On my gdb, -interpreter-exec cli "up" gives:

^error,msg="mi_cmd_interpreter_exec: could not find interpreter \"cli\""
(gdb)

I'm still lost here.

 > > There would still be problems with displaying the values of variables.
 > > Neither variable objects or the CLI command, display, seem to take
 > > notice of the thread number.
 >
 > ``bug'' in current MI protocol.  How would something like:
 >
 > -thread 2 -<something else>
 > ^done
 > -thread 2 -frame 3 -<something else>
 > -frame 3 -<something else>
 > ^done

Or values could be printed for all threads:

-var-evaluate-expression var1
^done,values=[{thread-id="0",value="0"},{thread-id="1",value="4"},...]

and likewise for other mi commands. This would have the disadvantage of
breaking existing behaviour but I imagine a user might want to see the value
of a variable across all threads and would not wish to create a variable
object for each thread.

Nick