Re: [remote protocol] Allow qSymbol response to continue packets

That's not correct, unfortunately.  A packet containing
<symbol><cntrl-C>, sure, that's easy.  But <retry><cntrl-C> is pretty
hard.  The call stack at this point goes through the middle of
libthread_db; I can't resume the inferior to give it a real SIGINT
without have to jump through hoops to re-initialize libthread_db after
processing the SIGINT, so I would have to:

 - stop all other running threads, if there are any; there could be
   depending on what libthread_db is trying to look up
 - forge a stop-with-SIGINT packet
 - handle whatever packets GDB sends me while I'm stopped
 - wait for GDB to resume
 - cause the resume to trigger re-issue of the queued qSymbol "stop
   response"
 - repeat until this succeeds
 - return that result to libthread_db

The long and short of it is that I'd have to duplicate or considerably
modularize the packet processing, to make the main loop re-entrant, to
support interruption of an otherwise non-blocking operation.

Unfortunatly, an event driven state machine is the "text book correct" way of implementing a protocol (anything less is a crock). Thats why I wrote RDA the way I did, and thats why gdb's remote code continues to need an overhaul (hopefully eventually sharing code with gdbserver). If the original author of that code had thought to read s/w telco text, your and my life today would have been a lot easier, sigh.

Anyway, if F is used as the interaction model, should F also be used as the packet format? Can I suggest, for queries to GDB, 'f' be used as the packet prefix letter but use 'F' for the rest of the specification. That would give us:

<- fSymbol,<symbol-name>

-> f0,0,;<symbol-value>
or
-> f0,EINTR,;
or
-> f0,EINTR,C;

I suspect that is sufficient (looking at the code I think "F" can be simplified somewhat - time permitting :-().

The other option would be to generate T00 packets - cause GDB to go through the motions but then resume it?

Andrew