gdb+simulator

Hi All,
         If we have a simulator integrated to gdb. Then does the gdb makes a
blocked call to simulator to run.(what i mean is does gdb checks the
simulator in loop(pooling mode) to set the breakpoint and other events.

Suppose gdb has to set the breakpoint at location say(line 9), so how does
it translate this command to simulator?
One simple solution is to to run the simulator in a loop and after every
cycle(loop) it sets or gets the events from/to simulator. Is it how gdb
works?

Or it has some asynchronous model of communication? Any help/idea?

My simulator is not signal based(i.e asynchronous)?, So can gdb be still
integrated with my simulator?

Regards
Vineet