Re: Branch created for inter-compilation-unit references

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 08:30:56AM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> It's not more important in general, but since we are preparing to cut
> the 6.1 branch in a few days, DW_OP_piece might be a good thing to do
> now, while delaying intercu-branch merge till after the release.
> It's a question of timing, not of an abstract importance.

Then both you and Andrew underestimate the intrusiveness of DW_OP_piece
support.  I estimate it will be less total code but considerably more
disruptive, since it will require changes outside of the dwarf2 reader.
Ergo require more testing, more settling time, more review time, et
cetera, and less workable for the branch.

Both of the distributions I maintain GDB for (one for my employer, and
Debian) are facing problems with the size and load time of debug
information.  For them, the intercu branch is both more useful and more
urgent.  Whether or not it makes GDB 6.1 through the gdb-patches review
process, the GDB 6.1 packages for both of those distributions will
include it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz