gdbserver coredumps,what is the *right* libthread_db.so forgdbserver on a given platform?

Hi;

i am using crosstool to build a complex app on a i686-unknown-linux-gnu
redhat 9 for a i486-unknown-linux-gnu redhat 7.3-ish( it's a somewhat
custom build, as near as i can tell).

problem i am having is that when gdbserver tries to load the symbols
for for libpthread-0.9.so, it segfaults.

it seems to not matter *which* libthread_db.so i stuff into my search
path on the target, it can be the one from rh9, or the one that i built
with crosstool, or the one that the system integrator has lying around
on the server-parent box :-)

i've been using gdbserver for several months now on a previous
incarnation of this project with both the host and the target running
redhat 7.2, so i have a pretty good idea how this works when it works
properly.

i *have* built a static gdbserver based on some mail from DanielJ about
how to build a static libthread_db.a and the *good* news is that it
*doesnt* coredump, but it does have the almost as aggravating

gdb: error initializing thread_db library

hope that someone can help me figure out what is broken and how to fix
it.

tnx!

johnu