Re: gdb has problems finding my sources (now with testcase)

On Wed, 2004-01-21 at 16:12, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 03:09:13PM +0100, Tarjei Knapstad wrote:
> > I've got a C++ test suite project that includes headers from and links
> > with static libraries from another project which resides in a different
> > directory tree (also pure C++). I'm using the current Fedora Core 2
> > snapshot of gdb (gdb-6.0post-0.20031117.7 from 08-01-2004), but I've got
> > the same problems with either 5.2 or 5.3.
> >
> > When debugging this testsuite gdb apparently has problems when I try to
> > step into (template) functions contained in certain header files. The
> > headers in question contain only template code which is used and linked
> > into the testsuite application. gdb just gives me "xxx yyy.h: File or
> > directory not found" where xxx is a line number and yyy.h is the header
> > file in question.
> >
> > If I add the source directory for yyy.h explicitly from gdb using the
> > 'dir' command it works, but I don't understand why I should have to do
> > that - it works perfectly with for instance the Boost and STL headers.
> > The other problems with adding the searchpath explicitly is that I'm
> > using gdb from within KDevelop where I don't have access to the gdb
> > commandline, as well as the fact that it's a great nusiance to have to
> > add the dirs (there are potentially lots) each time I run the debugger.
> >
> > I've reproduced this exact same behaviour using gdb from the commandline
> > so I don't think it's KDevelop's fault.
> >
> > Is there anyone who could provide me with any pointers wrt. how I can
> > possibly fix this? Any help getting this sorted would be much
> > appreciated.
>
> If you can provide a small testcase for the problem, we can investigate
> some more.  I'm not sure from your description what could be broken.

OK, I have just created a tiny KDevelop project, autoconf and all, which
reproduces the problem exactly. The roughly 360kB tarball can be
downloaded from:

http://www.chemcon.no/files/gdbtest.tar.bz2

I made a KDevelop project to reproduce all compiler arguments etc.
exactly - sorry about the size.

Run configure in the gdbtest-0.1/ subdirectory with these arguments:

   ./configure --with-extra-includes=../../../ --enable-debug=full

and then just run make. Load up the resulting executable in gdb and
issue

   b Test2.cpp:9

When the execution breaks and I issue a step command ('s') I get the
following:

Starting program: /home/tarjeik/temp/gdbtest-0.1/gdbtest/gdbtest

Breakpoint 1, Test2::f() (this=0xbffff3c7) at Test2.cpp:9
9           t.f(); // Set breakpoint here
(gdb) s
Test<int>::f() (this=0xbffff3a7) at Test.h:9
9       Test.h: No such file or directory.
        in Test.h

Here's the compiler etc. I use:

    gcc-3.3.2-1
    binutils-2.14.90.0.6-3
    gdb-6.0post-0.20031117.7

I hope this helps somewhat - if not let me know if there's anything else
I can provide to track this down.

Cheers,
--
Tarjei Knapstad