Re: [RFC] Addition of remote tracepoints to gdb / gdbserver.

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 03:56:18AM +0530, Ramana Radhakrishnan wrote:

Now the remote side would have to understand the target floating point format / collect the values for
the same and hence the actual computation would have to be target specific .2 options
a. do all calculations in gdbserver
b. collect all byte sequences and take care of it in gdb.

Option b seems less expensive.

Yes, but sometimes it's not enough. In the example I gave you'd have
to do the memory reference at trace collection time. But I don't
think it's a real problem so option b is probably fine.

It might be cheaper to take option b .,for FPU less architectures That could be another reason for sticking to option b.

Also regarding the AgentExpression code Generation problem that you mentioned in your earlier mail , the byte code generated for the following actions in the agent expressions is as
follows.

considering 2 globals i & j and we need to collect the value of i + j at some trace point.

trace someprogram point collect i + j

code generated seems to be equivalent to the following

Aopconst32 &i Aopref32 Aopconst32 &j Aopref32 aopadd

(where aopconst32 ) and aopadd is addition .

which is consistent with the manual

cheers
Ramana