core files in testsuite directory

My testsuite directory is littered with core files.  They're from
annota1, annota3 (the one in gdb.base, not the one in gdb.cp), and
signals.  The first two tests attempt to remove a file named 'core',
but the core files are actually named 'core.PID', so they stay around.

Some questions:

* I assume that all these tests are generating core files for
  legitimate reasons?  It's not entirely clear to me why they're being
  generated, but I don't really understand what signals lead to core
  files in the first place.

Assuming that's the case, we should presumably change the core file
cleanup function (and move it to lib/gdb.exp, for ease of sharing, and
have signals.exp call it as well).  So:

* What should the new cleanup function do?  Should it just try to
  remove core.*?  Or should it be passed the PID of the process in
  question, and only try to remove core.PID and core?

David Carlton
carlton@kealia.com