Re: C ASSEMBLER_NAME patch

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 09:04 AM, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

Geoff K writes:

This is supposed to happen under some circumstances. (Not the
circumstances that you're experiencing---I'm fixing that now---but some
other circumstances.)

How should GCC emit stabs so that GDB does the right thing with these
symbol names?

I'm not an expert on this, so I hope one of the symtab people (Daniel J) will correct me if I get this wrong:

Names at file scope should not be qualified with ".number", and names at
function scope can be qualified.

The comment in lhd_set_decl_assembler_name says that is what it's doing
("Can't just use the variable's own name for a variable whose scope is
less than the whole compilation.") so it looks like the test just needs
to be adjusted, to my superficial eyes.

No, 'scope less than the whole compilation' != 'file scope' if you are compiling multiple files into one .s file.

I'll look at Daniel's suggestion. I'm told this works in dwarf-2, so it's probably just a bug in the STABS emitter in GCC.