Re: Terminally slow (75 seconds) on some steps

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 17:56:27 -0400 Andrew Cagney <ac131313@redhat.com> wrote:

11 seconds per step? Still painfully slow :-(

11 seconds for application startup. That's gdb's cpu time. Application
has 0 seconds of run time. Later some steps take 2 seconds, but some
steps are interactive. The unusual thing is that my application freezes
for those 2 seconds and then does the rest very quickly. That's without
any breakpoints, just running it in debugger.

So 11 seconds after you typed `run'.
(The word startup can either be appled to that time after "run", or the time for gdb to reach the first "(gdb)" prompt :-().

Lots of shared libraries?

Is it reproducable?

What exactly is the system your using? Can you capture strace/ktrace/truss output for GDB doing a stepi?

I have no clue what are above three tools, but stepi is interactive. At
least I didn't bother to find the point where those 2 seconds are spent.

Which operating system? That determines the tool you'll be using.

"step" is implemented using multiple "stepi". A slowdown can either be two many "stepi"s or a slow "stepi" implementation.

By `locks' you mean?

System native mutexes, I guess.

Which operating system?

Andrew