Re: Updating to Autoconf 2.5x

As you all know, the configure scripts for GCC, GDB, and binutils must
be generated with autoconf 2.13.

GDB and BINUTILS use autoconf 000227 and not 2.13.

thoroughly obsolete, to the point where recent releases of popular
free operating systems may not ship it at all.  It is thus becoming
increasingly difficult to maintain these scripts.  Furthermore, using
this old version of autoconf forces us to continue using old versions
of automake and libtool as well.  At the recent GCC summit it was
agreed that we

I guess the royal ``we'' here is GCC?

Fortunatly GDB (binutils?) also see a need to get off the current autoconf and as such, I personally welcome this move.

How does nathaniel and dj's work fit into this - its kind of a logical next step.

need to make a concerted effort and migrate to autoconf
2.5x.  Exactly how we're going to do that, however, has not yet been
decided.

I have created a mailing list for discussing this issue in detail,
making plans, and implementing them.  All interested parties are
invited to subscribe.  I don't intend this to be a long-lived list;
I hope we can get this conversion done in under a month.