Re: GDB 6

> What exactly do you mean here?
> Annotations Level 2 will stay in gdb for version 6.0?
> This would truly be a great thing.

It won't have been deleted (but it would continue to be on notice).

Will GDB 6 have annotation level three? The patch that you posted (2003-03-11)
doesn't appear to have been applied yet.

That's correct. I've got a small matter of the doco and testsuite to resolve :-)

I might have lost the plot a bit. I initially checked out interps-20030202-branch
but, after some difficulty, I moved to HEAD and found that things like

-interpreter-exec console cli-command

and

interpreter mi -<mi-command> <mi-args>

were present there also. Am I in the right place?

Yes.

In the past you have suggested that (in the fullness of time)

The events [annotations] remain (target changed, breakpoint created, ....). The markups are removed (*-{begin,end})

There was some progress. Joel added a proper observer. Next is for the breakpoint stuff to use that.

I've got my head round variable objects and think that they might map on to
alists and the Emacs speedbar quite well. This means I can avoid the
annotations that mark up displayed expressions. However, the proposed patch
also removed some event annotations e.g source, query. I would like these to
stay. Here is a revised and reduced list of annotations that I think I could
work with:

frames-invalid
breakpoints-invalid
pre-prompt
prompt
commands
overload-choice
query
prompt-for-continue
post-prompt
source
starting
exited
signalled
signal
breakpoint
watchpoint
frame-begin
stopped

I'm not sure about frame begin. Things like frames-invalid are events and they can stay (forever? ...).

Andrew