question about target.to_stratum

What is the meaning and use of to_stratum?  What is it used to represent?

I noticed that the push_target function in target.c closes existing targets
of the same stratum.  If my user types
target <bla> after starting up, this always causes it to close the target
that I am trying to push because they both have the same stratum.

I looked at the way exec does it, and I can tell that it changes the stratum
to dummy before calling push again, but I don't see where.  How does this
work?

James