Re: charset.c problem with non-en_US locales

From: Elena Zannoni <ezannoni at redhat dot com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:04:03 -0400

When the locale is set to Turkish (or any other non-Latin), the
tolower/toupper functions don't work as they would in English.  The
lowercase version of 'I' is not 'i', for instance but some other
chracter ('i' w/o the dot).

Right, that's one peculiarity of the Turkish language.

So, I think the whole case-insensitive approach for the names of the
charsets and the translation tables should probably be removed.

I'm not sure.

What was the reason behind it? Was it that the user could type
upper/lower case charset names at the command line?

Yes, that's the reason.

This patch works, but I am not confident that this it's enough.

How about having our own clang_tolower function, which modifies only
7-bit ASCII characters in its argument?  Wouldn't this be a better
solution than requesting the user to type in a certain letter-case?

Hmm,

(gdb) set charset <tab>

doesn't work. If that was fixed (using GDB's enum cli method), the command would become case sensitive. Since GDB's CLI is case sensative in general that would make sense.

The alternative would be to add a case-insensitive version of the enum

Andrew