Re: stabs and macro information

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, at 11:58 AM, David Taylor wrote:

Currently, when invoked with -gdwarf-2 -g3, gcc will record macro
information in a .debug_macinfo elf section.  And when presented with
an executable containing macro information in a .debug_macinfo
section, gdb will make use of it.

Many companies, including EMC, still use stabs.  So...  it would be
nice if the same was true of stabs.

To that end, I have started to implement this.

The GCC side of things took less than a day to implement; I'm hoping
to get started on the GDB side soon.

I didn't see it on the GCC list. Was it submitted?
I ask because ...

One question I have is what stabs types to use -- tentatively I'm using:

    /* GNU extension.  Macro define.  */
    __define_stab(N_MAC_DEFINE, 0x36, "MAC_DEFINE")

    /* GNU extension.  Macro undefine.  */
    __define_stab(N_MAC_UNDEF, 0x3a, "MAC_UNDEF")

Unless these are really generated by GCC, they aren't GNU extensions, they are EMC extensions.

as it appears (based on gcc/stab.def, include/aout/stab.def, and
gdb/doc/stabs.texinfo) that 0x36 and 0x3a are available.

Is anyone aware of any other uses of stab types 0x36 and 0x3a --
i.e. is anyone aware of uses that might conflict?

You might want to look at what Sun's tools do.
Do they generate STABS anymore, and if so, see if they have extensions that conflict here.
Thanks.

David

p.s. shouldn't include/aout/stab.def and gcc/stab.def be merged?

Possibly.
I would imagine that nobody seriously cares about *extending* STABS anymore, so nobody has had any motivation to do anything about it.

--Dan