Re: gdb Digest 26 Mar 2003 19:03:48 -0000 Issue 1129

Either way, I think these are high-level table entries. The user could
certainly view the mapping:

maint print breakpoint
Breakpoint 1 <template a::foo>FileFullOfTemplates.hh:27 at
0x123 (b.cc:27), 0x234 (b.c:28), ...

but the manipulation would still typically be high level.

This suggests that we need three levels then.

Not really.

A single user-level breakpoint would have a list of source-code locations. But those source code locations would be tightly bound to that single user-level breakpoint. It is strictly 1:N, not N:N.

Delete the user breakpoint and you delete its list of locations. The source code locations are iterated over when adding/deleting physical breakpoints to the lower-level table.

On the other hand. The user level breakpoint and physical breakpoint tables have an N:N relationship.

Does anyone know how other debuggers handle this?  I'm sure we're not
the first but it's been ages since I used a non-GDB debugger for
anything.

The model I'm describing lifted from a book, the author of which was involved in borland's debugger.

Andrew