GDB Help

Hi want to write a trcing utility using gdb.
For this I am constructing a gdb script to collect tracing data and later
parsing the output to get required information.

I want to be able to set breakpoints at function enrty points and exit
points, and specify commands for these breakpoints.

Breakpoints at the function entry points can be set before invoking gdb
(since I know what all functions are to be traced). Within the commands
for the breakpoints at function entry, I am putting breakpoint at the
return address of the function. This can be done dynmically aftr gdb is
invoked. But I am not able to specify commands for the breakpoint at
return address. I can't nest commands. I tried using user-defined commands
but that didn't work either.
Aby ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Smita