Re: expected behavior of GNU/Linux gcore and corefiles

On Sun, Mar 02, 2003 at 10:56:08AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:

>On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 10:39:00PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>

>>> My instincts tell me that, to completly implement the above >>> functionality, GDB is always going to need libthread-db. If GDB could >>> implement the above on a core file without using libthread-db, then GDB >>> could also implement the above on a live target also without using >>> libthread-db. This is because a core file is always going to contain a >>> subset of the information made available via ptrace et.al.

>Oh, and one other thing that I like to mention when this comes up.  My
>motivational issue.  Thread_db is not, and can't/shouldn't be,
>available in a cross environment.  We have done a lot of work to make
>GDB read corefiles in a cross environment; and at MontaVista we've seen
>a large demand for this functionality from our customers.  So using
>thread_db with corefiles doesn't meet our (GDB developers') goals, I
>think.

Sorry, on this point, I'm lost. What are you suggesting here?

My point is just that it's important for GDB to not require thread_db
when dealing with core files.   A lot of people seem to use e.g. Solaris
to debug core files and expect everything they would get from using GDB
natively; that's their expectation and so far we've been able to stay
pretty much there.

If that position means precluding certain native-only functionality?

Andrew