Re: [Various] obsoleting the annotate level 2 interface

 >  > Ah, don't be fooled by the current online documentation... ;-)

 > I don't understand. The on line doc is up to date, it is not
 > lying.

Sorry, it was just a cheeky paraphrase of something Andrew Cagney said earlier.
Trying to be more helpful, the documentation says that -break-info has not
been implemented yet but it seems to work even on my version of gdb
(GNU gdb 20010813 (MI_OUT)). If -break-info does work, then presumably
-break-list is not needed.

 > Those commands have not been implememted. We have gone through
 > 3 projects (one internal to Cygnus, eclipse, and the apple ui) and
 > none of those missing commands was obviously a show stopper.

gdb-ui.el currently uses the CLI equivalent of:

-display-delete
-display-disable
-display-enable
-display-insert
-display-list

although enable/disable probably aren't necessary. How do the other projects
display variables ?

 > Of course those are *new* GUIs and they can be less functional. Emacs
 > cannot go backwards because some commands are missing.

I imagine most modern GUIs are currently more functional than the one that I
have provided for Emacs. It is the context of Emacs where I think the value
of gdb-ui.el lies.

 > for instance, does emacs have a window that shows the threads of the
 > inferior?

I've done nothing about threads, partly because different operating systems
seem to treat them differently and partly from my lack of understanding of
them.

 > But it is not hard to implement them. These are fairly simple, almost
 > wrappers.

I agree there's no point of implementing them for the sake of it. If the
existing commands work for the three projects you mention, then they should
also work for Emacs.

That just leaves the question of the console, which Andrew covers in his
e-mail.

Nick