From: Sunil Alankar [mailto:sunil.alankar@coware.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 2:48 PM
To: Daniel Jacobowitz
Cc: gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: RE: GDB 5.2/5.3 breakpoint bug

Hi,
  I have a detailed description of the problem here. Hope this would help. I
appreciate your help.

Thank you

Sunil

Problem:
Unable to set class method breakpoints in solaris with gdb 5.3 while using
systemc
library in the program.

Platform:
SunOS tesla 5.7 Generic_106541-23 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4

g++ version:
Reading specs from
/eng/devtools/SunOS_5.7/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

gdb version:
GNU gdb 5.3
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.7".

Test program:

This error occured while I am debugging a systemC (c++ library for system
design) program.
Here is a small example program that demonstrates the problem. ( I have
attached the
required library for solaris and include files with the e-mail)

#include <systemc.h>

SC_MODULE(top)
{
 public:

    sc_in_clk iclk;

    void func()
        {
            printf (".");
        }

    SC_CTOR(top)
        {
            SC_METHOD(func);
            sensitive_pos << iclk;
            dont_initialize();
        }
};

int sc_main (int argc , char *argv[])
{
    sc_clock clk("clk", 20);
    top *top1 = new top("Top1");
    top1->iclk(clk);
    sc_start(20000);
    return 0;
}

Build the example with:
% g++ -g -I./include -L./ -lm test1.cpp -lsystemc -o tx

%/home1/gdb-5.3/gdb/gdb tx
GNU gdb 5.3
conditions.
This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.7"...
(gdb) b top::func
the class top does not have any method named func
Hint: try 'top::func<TAB> or 'top::func<ESC-?>
(Note leading single quote.)
(gdb)

In some systemC programs, gdb attempts to set breakpoints at invalid
addresses.

This works without a problem in gdb 5.1 with proper breakpoint being set.

I hope this test case can provide sufficient ground to get at the problem.