Re: Trunk build problems

Hi guys,

I think its time for a gripe as the trunk has been going downhill rapidly
over the last week or so.

<gripe>

Things I have noticed over the last week:

- Configure in src doesn't do any sub directories any more (linux or
cygwin).
This (as I've come to learn and respect) is a long overdue feature. Once you've got over the initial shock (it took me a week ...) it really is much much better.

- It no longer configures directories that are not needed - huge time saver!

- It can parallize configures

- Under cygwin, libtermcap attempts to be build (which doesn't exist). This
causes a circular make problem as it can't change into the directory so does
a make in src again.
Sounds like Makefile.tpl (?) needs a tweak?

- If you do an incremental make in src it reconfigures a number of
directories *every time* (both linux and cygwin).
One case of this - bfd - was fixed.  Is this another case?

- Readline doesn't link under cygwin.
Readline was finally updated. Again, very long overdue. If there are problems, then please report them (hopefully with fixes).

My snapshot from about 2 weeks ago works fine - these are all new problems.

I am interested if these are known problems and under active investigation.
I suspect that they are unknown (I didn't know about them).

If you're wondering these changes are occuring now so that, hopefully, there is plenty of time to catch problems such as you are finding before the next GDB/binutils release.

BTW, the place to report each problem is gcc@gcc.gnu.org (cc'd gdb-patches@).

Andrew