Re: Namespaces with gcc v3 stabs+?

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:05:54 -0600, Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net> said:
> David Carlton writes:

>> What systems are there that GCC supports for which stabs+ can be
>> used but DWARF 2 can't?  How important are they?  Who's supporting
>> them?  Are there other more modern debug formats that really should
>> be used on those systems in place of stabs?

> If the user builds gcc with "--with-stabs", gcc prefers dbx (the gcc
> name for stabs).  Besides that, there are about 90 configurations
> which default to dbx, most of them without dwarf2 support.  Darwin
> and Cygwin are the big ones, with some arm configurations in there.

Thanks for the list.  And Darwin apparently supports DWARF 2.  I'm not
suprised Cygwin is a sticky one, though, now that you mention it.

It seems to me that, for now, it wouldn't be a great idea to convince
GCC to generate a fancy version of stabs, then, until somebody appears
who's particularly motivated to deal with the issues that arise.  So I
agree with your planned course of action.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu