Re: Final separate debug info patch

Alexander Larsson <alexl@redhat.com> writes:
> On 24 Nov 2002, Jim Blandy wrote:
> > The patch as posted doesn't properly handle the case where the
> > executable file has changed since the last 'run' command, and GDB
> > needs to re-read the symbols.  It does get rid of the out-of-date
> > separated objfile, but it doesn't read in the new one.  You may have
> > said this in one of your earlier posts, but I'll guess now that the
> > omission was deliberate: this is kind of a pain to do.
>
> Yes. That was more or less deliberate. My knowledge of gdb was reaching
> its limits...

I don't blame you a bit.  It doesn't help that GDB has four data
structures which all look pretty much the same:
- struct section_offsets (used by debug readers to offset shlib syms)
- struct section_addr_info (holds user args to add-symbol-file, and dl info)
- struct section_table (in the target structure, for exec files and cores?)
- struct obj_section (for overlay management)

And the functions in symfile.c don't really break the problem down
very helpfully.

> Btw. You saw that uli fixed the strip problem you had, right?

No, that's good.  Where did he post about it?