Problems with floatformat on Alpha

I spent some time today tracking problems in Alpha/Linux testsuite results.
One of the biggies was SIGFPE in convert_floatformat_to_doublest.  The first
problem was pretty easy:

  else if (exponent == 0)
    exponent = 1 - fmt->exp_bias;

1 is an int, exp_bias is an unsigned int, exponent is a long int.  The math
is done unsigned and exponent is ridiculously large.

I'm not sending a patch yet because I can't test it; something goes wrong
later, in the call to ldexp and elsewhere, that looks suspiciously like GDB
is miscompiled.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz