Re: libgdb

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 a2782@dis.ulpgc.es wrote:

> I am involved in a project of making a educational graphic interface
> and we are thinking about putting it over GDB. My question is: Has
> anybody worked with libgdb? My first approximation is invoking gdb as
> Emacs does, but using libgdb. I hope someone has worked with libgdb and
> can help and advise me.

Sadly, libgdb is a pipedream, and still quite a ways off (but it's
getting closer almost every day).

There are three ways to commonly interface some sort of GUI application
top of GDB:

1) Invoke GDB and parse the command line (emacs does this)
2) Invoke GDB's MI interpreter and write yourself an MI parser (Eclipse
and Apple's tools for MacOS X do this)
3) Write your GUI using GDB's hooks and events (Insight does this)

Obviously, #2 is the most desirably way to isolate yourselves from GDB
changes. Unfortunately, MI is still a work in progress. (Of course, I'm
still partial to #3 for speed.. ;-)

Keith