Re: Complicated config puzzle (m68k-apollo-bsd, v810, aix4.3+ maintainers please reply)

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

> I'm trying to untangle the maze that is toplevel configuration.  I need
> some advice as to desired behavior.
>
> For the *host* m68k-apollo-bsd, currently
>   host=build: sets BISON=yacc
>   host!=build: sets BISON=bison
>
> BISON represents a build-side tool, correct?
> So we should set BISON=yacc whenever this is the *build* machine, right?

Yes.

(But does anybody really care about m68k-apollo-bsd any more?)

> For the *target* aix >= 4.3, currently
>   host=build: sets AR_FOR_TARGET=ar -X32_64
>               sets NM_FOR_TARGET=nm -B -X32_64
>   host!=build: sets AR_FOR_TARGET=${target_alias}-ar
>                sets NM_FOR_TARGET=${target_alias}-nm
>
> This just doesn't seem right at all.  Under what circumstances do we
> want these flags?  It looks like they're always valid for GNU ar, GNU
> nm, AIX ar, and AIX nm; I'm guessing we want them even in the Canadian
> case.
>
> I'm further guessing that we want ${target_alias}-ar whenever
> build!=target, with the flags added.
>
> I can do this. :-)

I believe the -X32_64 option only matters when using the native tools,
not when using the GNU tools.  When host != build, we can probably
assume we are using the GNU tools.  So we need the flags when host =
build = target = aix >= 4.3.  In other cases, we don't need the flags.
It probably doesn't hurt to add them when target = aix >= 4.3.

> For the *target* v810*, currently
>   host=build: sets CC_FOR_TARGET=ca732 -ansi
>               sets AS_FOR_TARGET=as732
>               sets AR_FOR_TARGET=ar732
>   host!=build: sets CC_FOR_TARGET = ${target_alias}-gcc
>                sets AS_FOR_TARGET = ${target_alias}-as
>                sets AR_FOR_TARGET = ${target_alias}-ar
>
> This also looks wrong (very, very wrong), but I'm not sure what to do
> with it.  I'll hazard a guess that the '732' compilers should be used
> when build=target=v810* and not otherwise?  But I could easily be wrong.

I don't know for sure , but I'll bet this is another case where it
only matters when host = target = build and we are not using the GNU
tools.

Ian