Re: why is gdb 5.2 so slow

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 02:32:19AM +0100, wim delvaux wrote:
> I have been working with gdb 4.xx for years.
>
> because of the dynamic library breakpoint handing I moved to 5.2 only to find
> it VERY slow.  I wrote this mail because I just had to kill gdb because it
> consumed 100 % cpu for MINUTES without doing anything usefull.
>
> I run debian (testing version with the latests versions) I have currently
> installed 5.2.cvs 2002081.
>
> Kernel version 2.4.18
>
> I must admin that I do not have the fastest workhorse imaginable (a PIII 800)
> but that used to be no problem.
>
> I also sometimes use ddd 3.1 with gdb and again in the 4-version I had no
> problem, executing was crips, debugging (almost) fun.
>
> Now it skips breakpoints, takes ages to skip to the next statement, sometimes
> does not even want to stop (because it refers to some missing thread or
> something).  Only killing is the solution.
>
> PLEASE help me out here !!!!

We can't help you unless you give us more information, of course.

What are you doing?  If you're complaining about slowness, you're
probably working with multithreaded applications.  Yeah, it's slower,
but better.  Every once in a while I work on making it faster but I
haven't had much success yet.

It should not spin for minutes on its own.  What were you telling it to
do?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz