xmmalloc?

Does GDB currently use xmmalloc in any consistent way?  When writing
functions that might call xmalloc, should I try to write versions that
call xmmalloc instead and try to find an appropriate md to pass to
them?  If I don't do that but instead just use xmalloc, will anything
bad happen?  In particular, am I opening up myself to any new
possible memory leaks, other than the ones that are, of course, always
possible when calling xmalloc?

Any background info on this would be appreciated.

David Carlton
carlton@math.stanford.edu